The title of this post is pretty straight forward...shopping and dating. There is no need to beat around the bush here, let's just get straight to the point shall we.
Today I went shopping. I had two specific things in mind that I "had" to have to complete two separate outfits. These two items were a navy blue shirt and a black and white polka dot shirt, seems simple enough. So my first stop was GAP outlet...surely they will have both of these items and I can go home and do nothing for the rest of the night. As I browse through the store, I come across about 7 different types of navy blue shirts. Which one is going to work best with the outfit I have picked out? Which one will I wear again? Decisions, decisions, decisions... (side note: I don't do well with decisions) I finally choose a soft cotton one that has a modest neckline (don't want to get too crazy) and seems to be long enough (because nothing is worse than a shirt that is too short...ugh!). Polka dot shirt was a no go at GAP so on to the next store I go...Macy's. I stroll around Macy's for a good hour looking at the exact same things 27 times. I tried on a few items, they weren't polka dot, but I thought they could work. I was wrong. I considered buying a new purse, because YOLO (yes I said it), but I resisted. No polka dot shirt was to be found, so I took a nice leisurely stroll through the shoes. I spotted the perfect pair...a pair of denim-esq flats with white stars on them. I had to have them. They would go perfectly with the outfit that was in my brain already anyway. I bought them. But still no polka dot shirt. So off to Target I go...my last resort. They had t-shirts on sale...bonus!!! But guess what they didn't have...polka dots! So after much debate, I decided to change the outfit in my brain and go a different direction. I bought a black t-shirt. I know, very original...deal with it! So long story short, I have a navy blue shirt, new star flats and a new black t-shirt...close to the original plan.
You are probably asking, what does this have to do with dating, and you have a valid point. Let me help you out. In my brain I have a picture of the man I am going to marry. I have a very good idea of what I want him to look like, how I want him to act, how much money he should make, and what sports he should enjoy (baseball, obviously). This picture in my brain has been there for a while and has probably kept me from having a very nice friendship/relationship with some guys. Many times when I am shopping I have an idea of what I want in my brain and rarely do I find it or anything else for that matter. I am too focused on what I want and not taking the time to see what is actually out there. I need to apply this to dating. I need to stop being Charlie Mackenzie and actually give guys a chance. I need to stop being so wrapped up in my world that I don't see what is actually out there. What have I already missed because I was too busy finding flaws to actually see the positive?
I realize there were a lot of "I"'s in that last portion...maybe that is part of the problem too. But that is for a different day.
No comments:
Post a Comment