Friday, February 18, 2011

hug me like a mom would...

For those of you that know me, the title of this entry may seem a bit odd, but for those of you that don't know me, let me assure you the title of this is a bit odd.
Let me first clarify for everyone involved: I am not a big fan of hugging, being touched, etc. I don't know why this is, but I feel it has always been that way. And as luck would have it, I have an unusually large number of children this year that feel the need to hug me. There is one female student in particular that HAS to hug me EVERY time she sees me. Now don't get me wrong, I am not going to be that person that totally pushes you away if you try to hug me, I typically will hug you but not be overly excited about it or be very into it. Today this student gave me the customary (for her at least) "I am leaving class so I must hug you" hug. I did my customary thing and put one arm around her as she fully embraced me. But this time she said something that really struck a heart string. As she was full on hugging me she told me "Oh, come on Ms. Harris, just hug me like a mom would!". Clearly this student and probably several other of my students are just longing for someone to care about them, to love them, to hold them like a mom would and let them know everything is going to be alright. So as I write this, I am telling myself..."Come on Ms. Harris, just hug them like a mom would" it may be the only time they feel loved and accepted! I just need to step out of myself and do it!

What is something that you can do that will cause you to step out of your comfort zone but might just change the life of someone around you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. A reminder to me.

Kandy said...

I loved this story when you told it to me!!! Soo cute! I'm a hugger (you know that) so I'm all for the hugs!! =)
IT's good for us to stretch ourselves and find all the different ways that we can touch people's lives in a positive way... We are salt and light ;)