This summer was a whirlwind of excitement. I worked at that zoo again this summer. Teaching kids about animals is always a good time, especially when I don't have to come up with the lesson plans and don't have to grade any papers. But not only did this summer involve me working but it also involved a little travel. I got to go to Austin for a few days and then Chicago for almost a week. Austin was for a conference, but it was fun. Chicago was for fun...and clearly by fun I mean baseball! My friends and I decided that we would travel to Chicago this summer and the time that we picked just so happened to be when the Rangers were playing the White Sox in Chicago. I will say, the White Sox field is not the happiest place on Earth. We were miserable the whole time we were there, and it didn't help that the Rangers lost. We did get to experience other Chicago landmarks, like the Bean, the Field museum, the art institute and other various locations. We encountered some interesting people, made some
But as this summer comes to an end, another school year begins. This year I will be teaching 8th grade, which in all honesty scares me a little. I will have some of the same kids as last year and will have some new students. But no matter who is in my classroom, I know that they have been put there for a reason. Things don't just happen by accident. Now I just need to keep in mind that I have been put in that classroom for reason as well. Maybe I have been put in that students life to be a mentor to them. Maybe I have been put in their life to be a shoulder to cry on. Maybe I have been put in their life to be a person to hug them (I hope that isn't the reason, but if it is I guess I can do it). I don't know what my student's summers looked like, I don't know if they ate everyday. I don't know if their electricity got shut off in the middle of July when it was 103! But I do know they are in my class and in it for a reason. My prayer as I enter into this school year is that God would soften my heart to hear what my students are and are not saying and that He would give the wisdom and compassion to respond in a way that would reflect Him in my life.
To all of you starting a new school year: the best of luck to you! It will be over before we know it...make the most of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment